I suggest you ...

Allow the possibility to edit my alias

Something happened with the alias I uploaded and the style is bad and I can't edit it.

Also I guess it's possible that I could make my alias better in the future and it would be good to edit it

63 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sebastian Alvarez shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Torkild Retvedt commented  · 

I hear what you're saying about edit issues, but how about using some sort of "version"-scheme?

Let's say I create a new alias. Users subscribe to this alias, now in version 1. I edit this alias, creating version 2. Users that subscribe to this alias still use version 1, but is offered to "upgrade" to any newer version, currently only one available is 2.

This would make edits opt-in, and would also remove the direct security implications. A possible drawback would be that a lot of people would "upgrade" without hesitation, but you could already say the same for subscribing to an alias in the first place.

Also, I see no reason not to be able to edit tags/description as the system is today.

• Anuj Biyani commented  · 

As an alternative to allowing a user to edit public aliases, maybe you could allow a user to edit the tags, name, and description of a public alias?

Versioning aliases might also get around the security problems of editing an alias; in order to use the edited version of an alias, I'd have to go to the website (or use an API endpoint) to update to the latest version.

• TCM commented  · 

so allowing for people to submit edits to aliases and have them approved or have edits voted on!

• AdminSam (Developer, Alias.sh) commented  · 

Hi Sebastian,

It's not possible to edit aliases because when people are using them they can be sourced directly into their bash_aliases file which could be a security risk.

If you email me, admin at alias dot sh I can help you with fixing up your alias.

Thanks

Feedback and Knowledge Base